News, Fashion & Beauty
In the kitchen with SewLomax
18 February 2014
Look like the domestic goddess that you truly are in the SewLomax Bite Me Apron and matching Bite Me Tea Towel.
Now at 50% off!!
To celebrate our flash sale on ALL SewLomax luxury homewares, we are sharing our most treasured recipes with you... they will have your mouth watering and tummy rumbling!
Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing!
We were inspired by a recipe for a Tropical Carrot Cake on the BBC Good Food website using a few extra ingredients that you wouldn't find in a classic carrot cake. Adding banana and pineapple pieces make it deliciously moist, one slice will never be enough!
. 250g/9oz plain flour
. 2 tsp baking powder
. 1 tsp salt
. 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
. 150g/6oz light brown sugar
. 220g/8oz canned pineapple slices (chopped into small pieces)
. 2 very ripe bananas (mashed)
. 150g/5oz carrots grated (about 2 large carrots)
. 150ml/5fl oz corn oil
. 3 organic eggs (free range are fine too!)
. 125g/4oz butter, softened and extra for greasing tin
. 225g/8oz cream cheese
. 450g/1lb icing sugar
. 1 tsp vanilla extract
. walnuts or pecans to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 160C/320F/Gas 2.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, salt and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and mix well.
- Add the sugar, walnuts, pineapple, mashed banana, grated carrot, oil and eggs and mix well.
- Pour the cake mixture into a greased medium sized cake tin and place into the oven to bake for 1-1¼ hours, or until cooked through. Test by pushing a skewer into the centre of the cake. If the skewer comes out clean the cake is ready.
- If the cake top is browning too much, cover with a circle of kitchen foil.
- Remove from the oven when ready and allow to cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, beat the butter and cheese together in a clean bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add sugar and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Once the cake is cool, remove from the cake tin and spread the icing all over the cake.
- Decorate the cake with a few crushed pecans and serve in generous slices (with tea).
- Hello Magazine
- Style Magazine
- Our cushions in the Daily Mail
- Stylist Magazine
- Away with the faires Blog
- VOGUE USA
- Our SOS Travel Kits featured by Pixiwoo
- Face Up
- A Holiday Survival kit
- You & Your Wedding
- Festival Fever SOS Kit
- Beauty Queen UK Features our SOS Kits
- Hannah Talks
- Feature in Star Magazine; Little wonders
- Lemonaid Lies
- Good Housekeeping
- Telegraph Fashion
- Festival Kits
- Beauty sets for her
- Handbag Essentials Kit